We then set the scene with a compost quiz. The questions were developed and answers provided by Barb Frey from Transition Town Guildford.
The content of the quiz went into how much food waste a chook could eat (up to 150kg per year), whether you need special equipment for composting (no) and how long an earth worm lives (on average 2 years, but up to 6). It was fun. Winner of the quiz was Lisa. Her price was a pot plant which she kindly donated to another participant for use at her kindergarten. Most of us went home invigorated and inspired, keen to try composting at our own place.
If you missed the full movie, attend the next screening of DIRT! by Transition Town Victoria Park. It's on Monday 26 May at the East Victoria Park Art Centre, more details here.
If you want to learn more about composting please participate at the upcoming events by the Mindarie Regional Council. Learn about composting on Sunday 25 May 2014 at the East Perth Community Garden from 10-12noon. More details here:
- Friday 23 May, closing date for comments to the City of Vincent Bike Network Plan, Vincent/Bulwer St Section. More info here.
- Saturday 24 May, from 10:30-12noon - Kitchen Gardener Action Group: Sharing Knowledge about compost, soil and seedlings. Location: 148 Anzac Road, Mt Hawthorn. Please RSVP to Irma 0466 640 455.
- Sunday 25 May, from 1:30-4pm, Compost Street Party (with compost cake)- displays and on location demos, at 26 Blencowe St, West Leederville. No RSVP required. More info on flyer here. This event is organised by the Mindarie Regional Council.
- Monday 26 May, from 6:30 for 7pm start, Movie DIRT, screening at Victoria Park Art Centre, 12 Kent Street, East Vic Park, organised by Transition Town Victoria Park Network.
- Thursday 29 May, from 4:30-6pm - Organic Waste Action Group: Worm Farming 101. Location: Joondanna Community Food Garden, corner of Wade Street and Stoneham Street, Joondanna. Please RSVP to Kim 0458 202 270.
- Friday 30 May, commencement of community consultation to City of Vincent Bike Network Plan, Oxford St/Scarborough Beach Rd Section. Ends on 20 June. More info here.
- Saturday 31 May and Sunday 1 June, Yarns of the Heart - Noongar Doll Making Workshop at the Bodhi Tree, corner Oxford St and Scarborough Beach Road, Mt Hawthorn from 11-3pm, light lunch and refreshments provided. Get in quickly, only 20 places. Free event. RSVP required. Organised by City of Vincent. More info here.