So I decided to go pre-loved and old-school. It needed to be small, so my niece could pack in her suitcase and deliver to family in the States - for their big 50th birthdays.
This led me onto a fun treasure hunt, seeking out antique and vintage jewellery.
During my treasure travels, I fell for the Art Deco style and found many timeless pieces. I loved the strong repeating lines in cuff links and the elegant sleek curves in brooches. There was so much to seek and find, as I was tempted by bold colours and shapes of the 70’s; and the striking curved lizards from the 20’s.
I was eventually hooked on the classic Art Deco look as I felt these would be admired by my gift recipients too.
It was fun looking but sadly I found stores no longer on the map and visited some when they were closed!
As it is our aim to make it easier for you, here is a list of open antique – vintage stores with websites to find out their latest opening times:
- Subi: Subiaco Antiques and Fine Jewellery, Shop 9, Forrest Walk, 97 Rokeby Road, Subiaco. http://subiacoantiques.com.au/
- CBD: Carillon Antiques, Carillon City Shop 39A Hay Street Level Perth. http://visitperthcity.com/location/carillon-antiques/
- CBD: Trinity Antiques, Trinity Arcade Shop 205 Hay Street Level Perth. http://visitperthcity.com/location/trinity-antiques/
- Nedi’s: Steven Sher Antique and Fine Jewellery, 10 Broadway, Crawley (Nedlands) (see Freo Market listing below). http://stevensher.com.au/
- Cott: House of Riches, 4 Napoleon Street, Cottesloe. http://www.houseofriches.com.au/
- North Freo: Churchill Antiques, 229 Queen Victoria Street, North Fremantle, Perth. http://churchillantiques.com.au/
- Freo Market: Steven Sher Antique and Fine Jewellery, Fremantle Markets, S. Terrace Fremantle. http://stevensher.com.au/
 Stores are listed by distance from our Mt Hawthorn hub, visited in September 2014 and included stores with jewellery (other than costume).